Levitate and melt 2g of aluminum using a specially designed levitation coil. Traditional melting applications impart impurities into the melted material. Levitation melting can be used for a well-controlled high purity melt for precise materials research.
• 2g aluminum metal
• Test tube
Power: 1.72 kW
Frequency: 98 kHz
- The 2g aluminum sample was placed into a test tube
- Power was turned on, and current was run through the levitation coil
- The sample was loaded by passing the test tube through the coil and allowing the aluminum to float out by levitation.
- With time, the levitated aluminum melted and stabilized.
- The power was turned off, and the sample dropped into the waiting receptacle.
Results / Benefits:
- Precise, non-contact containment of the metal sample
- Heating without a crucible ensures that the sample maintains its purity
- Easy sample removal: when the levitation melting process is finished, the sample can be removed by turning off the power supply and allowing it to exit from the bottom of the coil.