Our customer’s current process uses resistive ovens to heat brass rods. They want to improve safety, productivity, and reduce energy costs, by using induction instead of resistive heating. To maximize productivity, they want to be able to heat 3 brass rods at a time to 1436°F (780°C) within 25 seconds. For this application test, we are only heating one rod. Our goal is to heat the single rod to 1436°F (780°C) within 25 seconds with less than 30 kW of power. This will ensure that when heating 3 rods, the 100 kW system will meet the production requirements.
UPT L series 100 kW Induction Heating Power Supply, operating between 10-50 kHz
HS – 100LF Low Frequency Heat Station
• Brass rod
• Custom coil, 10 turns, 1.969″ (50mm), designed and manufactured by UltraFlex Power Technologies for this specific application – capable to heat 3 rods at a heat cycle.
Temperature: 1436°F (780°C)
Power: 20 kW
Voltage: 380 – 480 V
Time: 24 sec
- The UPT L series Power Supply was connected to the HS-100LF Heat Station.
- The custom Coil was attached to the Heat Station.
- The Brass rods were placed inside the Coil.
- The Power Supply was turned on.
- The UPT L series operating at 20 kW was able to successfully heat the single brass rod within 24 seconds, which was less than the 25 second time requirement established for the test. Three brass rods are expected then to heat within 25 seconds with approximately 60 kW of power (3 rods will be 3x the load and 3x the power). The 100 kW Induction system will therefore meet the customer’s requirements.
Induction preheating provides:
- Faster heating cycles
- The process is safer than the flame heating
- Technology without pollution, clean and safe