Successfully hardening of the jaw teeth using induction.
Carbon steel jaw teeth supplied by the customer
Power: 2 kW
Temperature: Approximately 1526° F (830° C)
Frequency: 167 kHz
Time: 10-15 sec
- A test coil was custom made for the application.
- The sample was fixed in position inside of the coil.
- Induction heating was applied to the teeth.
- The temperature of the sample was monitored during heating.
- Heat was applied until the hardening temperature was reached.
- System managed to achieve its maximum power.
- The tooth was heated to 830°C in 12 sec.
- 930°C was reached in 20 sec.
- The Curie point (around 770°C) is reached in 5 sec.
- System configuration – SM-2/200 with HS-4W is suitable for the process.
- Classic coil is also suitable for this application.
- Automation of the process can be achieved by moving either the HS with coil or the jaw in vertical direction.
- Proper cooling systems have to be chosen. Cooling capacity – at least 2kW. Water-to-air system can be used, but it depends on the ambient operational temperature.